5. Food Is An Essential Of Life—The Role Of Food In Health
Several later lessons are devoted to the subject of food. We will not, therefore, treat it extensively here.
In no other area of life practices are our transgressions against ourselves so great as in the food we ingest. Consequently, most diseases of humanity arise largely because of eating wrong foods.
Food supplies us with essential nutrients other than the three inorganic ones we need. Even water, an inorganic food, can normally be obtained in quantities needed from a proper diet.
Correct diet consists of mostly fruits. Constitutionally humans are frugivores or fruitarians. Wholesome ripe fruits contain all the food factors necessary to sustain human life at the highest level.
All our food should be eaten raw as nature delivers it to us. All heating of foods destroys vital nutrients. Suffice it to say that nature did not equip humans or any other animals with stoves.
The essential categories of nutrients we require are as follows: (NOTE! These percentages are relative to total food intake by DRY WEIGHT!!!! Further, they are approximations.)
- 85% to 90% simple carbohydrates for fuel. Simple carbohydrates and monosaccharides such as glucose, fructose (levulose), galactose, etc. If complex carbohydrates are taken, the body must break them down into monosaccharides before absorption.
- 1% to 5% fats, which supply fuel and other needs, especially essential fatty acids (EFA).
- 4% to 8% protein.
- 3% to 5% mineral matter in organic form.
- 1% in vitamins, auxones and other catalytic nutrients.
Like water, fibers in food are a neutral factor. Cellulose, of which fiber is composed, is indigestible and is passed on through the body. Contrary to popular impressions, we do not have to have a high fiber diet in order to have bowel movements. We are not defecating machines—neither are we hay balers. Wastes will be expelled as they accumulate sufficiently to require voiding.
Condiments, seasonings, free oils—in short, anything and everything except whole ripe fruits with some vegetables, nuts and seeds, all in the raw state, should never pass the lips.
- 1. A Survey Of The Lesson
- 2. Cleanliness Is An Essential Of Life
- 3. Temperature Maintenance
- 4. Sleep Is An Essential Of Life-The Role Of Sleep In Life
- 5. Food Is An Essential Of Life-The Role Of Food In Health
- 6. Exercise And Activity Are Essential To Well-Being
- 7. Rest And Relaxation Are Essential To Health
- 8. Sunshine Is An Essential To Health
- 9. Recreation And Play Are Health Essentials
- 10. Emotional And Mental Well-Being Are Necessary To Health
- 11. Assurance Of Life And Its Means Is Necessary To Health
- 12. Pleasant Environment Is Necessary To Well-Being
- 13. Creative Useful Work And Its Role In Life
- 14. Self-Mastery Is Necessary To Best Well-Being
- 15. Gregariousness Is An Element Of Health
- 16. Motivation: Having Purposes Or Causes To Serve
- 17. Expression Of Natural Instincts Relative To Health
- 18. Aesthetic Well-Being
- 19. About This Survey Of Life’s Essentials
- 20. Questions & Answers
- Article #1: The Importance Of Body Temperature by Dr. Herbert M. Shelton
- Article #2: Are You Suited For Health? by Mike Benton
- Article #3: Mental And Emotional Poise by Lee Bauer