18. Aestethic Well-Being
Why should a fruit-laden orchard of aromatic fragrance be so lovely and beautiful? Why should a dry barren rocky gulch present such an inhospitable and ugly facade?
Anything that promotes life and its values is appreciated, treasured and deemed beautiful. Anything that is untenable and harmful to life is looked upon as ugly with but few exceptions.
In keeping with this, it would seem that all creatures have standards of beauty. But the greatest capacity for appreciation of beauty is inherent in those creatures that have the greatest capacity for life. We proclaim ourselves undisputed aesthetes among all in the animal kingdom. This is not necessarily true. Almost everything in nature has great beauty. Dolphins (porpoises), whales and other creatures have a very high order of intelligence and likewise appreciate beauty.
That which is fit for food is beautiful to us as it is available to us in nature. That which is poisonous and unfit for food usually has no aesthetic appeal. For purposes of food we do not ascribe beauty to a squirrel. Yet the squirrel fascinates as a lovable and beautiful creature. A peacock is a beautiful and lovely bird. We admire it for its great beauty. Yet it is difficult for us to visualize ourselves breaking its neck, stripping it of feathers and eating it as natural as meat-eaters do—skin, bone, flesh and guts, all raw and uncooked. We can’t do that. The picture is an ugly one. It is in discord with our welfare.
The human sense of beauty is, as far as we know, unparalleled. The visual and sonic arts have been highly cultivated. The development of art has been constructive, healthful and ennobling for humankind.
In assessing your clients’ practices, it is wise to survey their cultural dispositions. Everyone has an aesthetic sense —everyone has a sense of beauty. This is a saving grace, for it is an inroad to inspiring and motivating people. Almost everyone appreciates beauty in themselves most of all! Life Science as a way of life will restore health. Simultaneous with rejuvenation, much beauty is restored.
- 1. A Survey Of The Lesson
- 2. Cleanliness Is An Essential Of Life
- 3. Temperature Maintenance
- 4. Sleep Is An Essential Of Life-The Role Of Sleep In Life
- 5. Food Is An Essential Of Life-The Role Of Food In Health
- 6. Exercise And Activity Are Essential To Well-Being
- 7. Rest And Relaxation Are Essential To Health
- 8. Sunshine Is An Essential To Health
- 9. Recreation And Play Are Health Essentials
- 10. Emotional And Mental Well-Being Are Necessary To Health
- 11. Assurance Of Life And Its Means Is Necessary To Health
- 12. Pleasant Environment Is Necessary To Well-Being
- 13. Creative Useful Work And Its Role In Life
- 14. Self-Mastery Is Necessary To Best Well-Being
- 15. Gregariousness Is An Element Of Health
- 16. Motivation: Having Purposes Or Causes To Serve
- 17. Expression Of Natural Instincts Relative To Health
- 18. Aesthetic Well-Being
- 19. About This Survey Of Life’s Essentials
- 20. Questions & Answers
- Article #1: The Importance Of Body Temperature by Dr. Herbert M. Shelton
- Article #2: Are You Suited For Health? by Mike Benton
- Article #3: Mental And Emotional Poise by Lee Bauer