7. Rest And Relaxation Are Essential To Health
In present-day society there are many tensions and stress-producing situations. Relaxation, which also involves rest, should be indulged two to four times daily for periods of from 15 to 30 minutes. The body recoups under rest and relaxation.
If eyes are bleary or the eyelids heavy, relaxation for a few minutes with the eyes closed will accomplish wonders. A nap is even better, for little revitalizes the body as well as sleep.
Sleep should be obtained daily to the extent that sleepiness dictates, whether this be as little as six hours or as much as ten hours. The healthier an individual, the less sleep required (to a point). As a concomitant to sleep the body obtains rest. Rest enables the body to catch up on its eliminative activities and to resupply its stores of body starch (glycogen) for the following day’s energy needs.
While sleep regenerates a fund of nerve energy, rest enables the body to restock physical stores as well as to “clean house.” Relaxation relieves tension buildup. A period of vigorous exercise followed by relaxation will perform even more dramatic results.
- 1. A Survey Of The Lesson
- 2. Cleanliness Is An Essential Of Life
- 3. Temperature Maintenance
- 4. Sleep Is An Essential Of Life-The Role Of Sleep In Life
- 5. Food Is An Essential Of Life-The Role Of Food In Health
- 6. Exercise And Activity Are Essential To Well-Being
- 7. Rest And Relaxation Are Essential To Health
- 8. Sunshine Is An Essential To Health
- 9. Recreation And Play Are Health Essentials
- 10. Emotional And Mental Well-Being Are Necessary To Health
- 11. Assurance Of Life And Its Means Is Necessary To Health
- 12. Pleasant Environment Is Necessary To Well-Being
- 13. Creative Useful Work And Its Role In Life
- 14. Self-Mastery Is Necessary To Best Well-Being
- 15. Gregariousness Is An Element Of Health
- 16. Motivation: Having Purposes Or Causes To Serve
- 17. Expression Of Natural Instincts Relative To Health
- 18. Aesthetic Well-Being
- 19. About This Survey Of Life’s Essentials
- 20. Questions & Answers
- Article #1: The Importance Of Body Temperature by Dr. Herbert M. Shelton
- Article #2: Are You Suited For Health? by Mike Benton
- Article #3: Mental And Emotional Poise by Lee Bauer