11. Assurance Of Life And Its Means Is Necessary To Health
Humans are creatures of providence almost the whole world over. Equatorial peoples have no need of providing for the future as have northern peoples but are, nevertheless, provident in many ways. On the other hand, northern peoples are often overly provident. They provide against needs, both real and imagined. This has made many northern peoples acquisitive at the expense of humaneness. Of course acquisitiveness in itself is not the sole evil but is a contributing factor to valuing possessions over fellow beings.
Our basic needs are food and shelter and the productive facilities for making them. We have yet other needs which we strive to satisfy plus many pursuits that engender yet other wants.
Ours is a society of abundance. Within the capabilities of our means of production is a surfeit of goods and services beyond our capacity to use and consume them. Our distribution system is not compatible with our productive capacities, hence there are gross inequities in the amount of the goods and necessities various of the world’s peoples receive. Some are almost totally deprived by circumstances attendant upon these inequities while others are surfeited beyond any possible need.
These inequities give rise to anxieties, worries and concerns that seriously impair health. Even many in what would be considered good circumstances are assailed by fears that they will not be able to maintain their circumstances. Qualms, fears and concerns about loss of the requisites of life are a drain upon the mental and emotional well-being of a majority of people. Worry is a disease of our society.
In tropical climes we see tribes and groups of people living “hand-to-mouth” among plenitude. They always have the needs of life at hand. They are carefree, happy and playful. They do not work much, for their style of life does not require much.
The farther north we travel, the more humans become provident and acquisitive until we reach such a harsh environment that almost all endeavors are directed at providing the basic needs of life and little more.
In conducting your professional practice, you may find it wise to delve into your clients’ economic and social concerns as sources of tension, stress and enervation. This will be explored further in subsequent lessons.
- 1. A Survey Of The Lesson
- 2. Cleanliness Is An Essential Of Life
- 3. Temperature Maintenance
- 4. Sleep Is An Essential Of Life-The Role Of Sleep In Life
- 5. Food Is An Essential Of Life-The Role Of Food In Health
- 6. Exercise And Activity Are Essential To Well-Being
- 7. Rest And Relaxation Are Essential To Health
- 8. Sunshine Is An Essential To Health
- 9. Recreation And Play Are Health Essentials
- 10. Emotional And Mental Well-Being Are Necessary To Health
- 11. Assurance Of Life And Its Means Is Necessary To Health
- 12. Pleasant Environment Is Necessary To Well-Being
- 13. Creative Useful Work And Its Role In Life
- 14. Self-Mastery Is Necessary To Best Well-Being
- 15. Gregariousness Is An Element Of Health
- 16. Motivation: Having Purposes Or Causes To Serve
- 17. Expression Of Natural Instincts Relative To Health
- 18. Aesthetic Well-Being
- 19. About This Survey Of Life’s Essentials
- 20. Questions & Answers
- Article #1: The Importance Of Body Temperature by Dr. Herbert M. Shelton
- Article #2: Are You Suited For Health? by Mike Benton
- Article #3: Mental And Emotional Poise by Lee Bauer