5. Other Food Qualities
There are other factors that we could consider in determining suitability of foods in human alimentation. One significant factor is the role of foods in maintaining body pH. Some foods are alkaline-forming (acid-binding) and others are acid-forming in metabolism. Acid-forming foods place a heavy burden on the body. Humans require a diet preponderately of foods that are alkaline-forming in their metabolic reaction.
Let’s review the criteria for rating the value of foods. This time we’ll append the rating values for foods based on their usefulness in the human dietary.
Water content of foods, while important, does not enter into rating value. We are not natural water drinkers. Water has a neutral value. Nevertheless, most proper foods possess water sufficient to meet our needs. Nuts, seeds and dried fruits are exceptions to this rule. All meals eaten should consist of such foods as will render them water sufficient. Our water needs are ideally supplied by our diet.
- 1. Prologue
- 2. Necessity Of Different Approaches To Nutritional Science
- 3. Understanding The Role Of Foods In Nutrition
- 4. Edibility Of Foods
- 5. Other Food Qualities
- 6. Summary Of Criteria Relative To Goodness
- 7. Ratings Of Generally Available Foods
- 8. Questions About The Lesson
- Article #1: Are We Vegetarians Or Fruitarians?
- Article #2: Research Yields Bombshell Of A Surprise!
- Article #3: Are We Meat Eaters?
- Article #4: Are We Milk Drinkers?
- Article #5: Are We Grain Eeaters?