4. Pollination Of Trees
A good nurseryman will be able to suggest suitable cultivars to ensure pollination. Then you can be sure that your choices will have the best possible chance of giving you good yields.
Some simple rules for fruit pollination are as follows:
- Some apples are self-fruitful but most horticulturists advise planting three varieties of apples and pears if you want to be 100% sure of pollinating all the trees. In apples, a Golden Delicious is probably the best way to ensure good pollination.
- Some plums are self-fruitful including Stanley, Greengage, Shropshire Damson, and many of the old varieties plus Italian and other prune plums. Fewer of the Japanese plums are self-fruitful. Methley and Santa Rosa are.
- You must have two varieties of sweet cherries for pollination. If you don’t have room for two trees, graft two varieties on the same tree.
- Sour cherries are self-fruitful, as are almost all peaches, apricots, and nectarines.
- Southern- and eastern-type figs are self-pollinating but western Smyrna figs depend on a particular insect or mechanical pollination.
- Persimmons are self-fruitful.
- Some varieties of nuts are self-fruitful, others require cross-pollination. Some growers believe pollination between varieties produces a bigger and better-quality crop.
- 1. The Benefits Of Biological Orcharding
- 2. Establishing An Orchard
- 3. Choosing Trees
- 4. Pollination Of Trees
- 5. Preparing A Site
- 6. Planting Trees
- 7. Mulching
- 8. Orchard Fertility
- 9. Pest And Disease Control
- 10. Pruning
- 11. Thinning Fruit
- 12. A Grove Of Trees To Live In
- 13. Questions & Answers
- Article #1: China Orders Citizens to Plant Trees, Or Else
- Article #2: Tree Culture-The Ecological Way to Restore the Earth
- Article #3: Your Garden Needs Insects By Carl C. Webb
- Article #4: Texas Could Feed Nearly Half the World By T.C.Fry
- Article #5: Fertilization of the Soil By Dr. Herbert M. Shelton
- Article #6: The Green Revolution
- Article #7: A Case for Tree Crop Agriculture By Mark Chass and Don Weaver