In matters health, people are shifting their focus to healthy foods, and among the functional foods that promote good health and performance is the beetroot. Beetroot health benefits are nothing new, according to Selfe.com the diet history of was already known 4000 year ago in China. Recently many people are taking their time to research and write about it, especially in sport magazines, and many patients are also interested in finding out about the benefits of the beetroot powder on overall health.
The Healing Power of Beetroot
The beetroot is a root vegetable that is round and mostly red, but other variations of white or yellow are available in some parts of the world. It belongs to the same family as turnips, sugar beets, and rutabagas. It is better to eat the beetroots raw, but some people do not find them palatable, and this is why the grounded form is easier to consume. The beetroot powder merely is ground beetroot vegetable.
The various uses of the powder include adding it in smoothies, sprinkling it on sauces, salads, or soups, or adding it in water to make it more nutritious. Some people also add it in gravies to add more color to their recipe.
The beetroot vegetable is full of with Vitamins A, C, and B6. Other essential nutrients are iron, potassium, folate, magnesium, soluble fiber, and proteins, meaning that it helps in the making of new red blood cells, and strengthening of the bones. It is a vegetable that also contains antioxidants that help fight diseases.
The vegetable is a little sugary, but the good thing is that they are all natural sugars. The sugar content should not worry you when you consume it, and neither should the number of calories because they are healthier than those found in other foods, especially processed ones.
Uses and Benefits of Beetroot Powder
Many athletes and patients suffering from anemia, blood circulation problems, high blood pressure, and erectile dysfunction can significantly benefit from the beetroot powder supplement.
Doctors say that there are many benefits that people can derive from the powder and these include:
- The nitrates in the vegetable are vasodilators, and they help support healthy blood pressure. Many patients have successfully stopped relying on drugs to control pressure by using the powder
- Some patients have reported an improvement in erectile dysfunction problems, which relates to improved endothelial dysfunction (ED). Ed is a condition that hinders the flow of blood in the vessels, causing erectile dysfunction in men, and blocking sensitivity in women’s clitoris. Once the problem has cured, the blood flow improves to the penis and clitoris, increasing the sexual experience for both men and women
- It is a recommended supplement for athletes because it boosts stamina, blood flow, and tissue recovery
- For people who over bleed when they have a cut, the beetroot powder is an excellent supporter of healthy blood clotting factors
- It quickly converts homocysteine to methionine, putting it under control as it is a risk factor for many illnesses
- A source of fiber, zinc, potassium, iron, folate, and magnesium, all of which have a role in improving blood sugar control and providing the body with many antioxidants that fight diseases
Beetroot Powder for Athletes
Beetroot powder is becoming popular among athletes because of the said benefits and more. When used for improved physical performance, the powder should be taken three days before the event to increase its efficiency. Athletes can derive many benefits from the powder without having to worry about getting a ban from participation.
In any case, most national sporting institutes recommend the use of beets among athletes. It is even more useful among highly trained athletes, where it is possible to notice performance improvement if a high dose of red beet juice is consumed about half an hour before workout. The reason behind this is that the fluid flushes out lactic acid faster, creating a new energy level especially for those in weight training.
What to Look For When Buying Beetroot Powder
So many people and online stores sell the beetroot powder, but just like it is with every other commodity, there are original and counterfeit versions. Besides, some beetroots grow under harsh conditions where the farmers spray them with poisonous pesticides that could affect your health.For an assurance that you are buying the right product, check to see that the beetroot powder is
- Made from 100% organic ingredients
- Not a product of GMO production
- Packaged in a glass bottle to prevent toxic off-gassing from plastics
- Packed according to the amounts indicated so that you get value for your money. Different manufacturers package different quantities but sell at the same price
Beetroot Smoothie Recipe
- 1 tsp. organic beetroot powder
- 200ml apple juice
- 50g mixed frozen berries
Blend all the ingredients and drink 30 minutes before your workout. You may add stevia to taste if so desired.
The smoothie will activate the properties of the powder, rejuvenating your cells, and giving you a new pack of energy at the gym.
With continued use of beetroot powder, take note that your urine and may acquire a new pinkish reddish color. This should cause no alarm as it is merely an indication that the beetroot powder taking effect in your body system.