Article #4: The “Staff Of Life” by Marti Fry
We have stated many times that wheat and bread are unwholesome foods for several reasons: Wheat, the seed of cereal grass, is a starchy food that the body cannot digest properly and fully because we secrete only a limited amount of ptyalin, the enzyme that starts digestion of starches, and we secrete no enzyme to break down gluten. Also, wheat and breads are almost always eaten with sugars and/or proteins, all of which then end up in producing indigestion and pathogenic conditions inside the body.
Unless you sprout whole wheat berries, wheat must be cooked to be eaten; and cooking renders the food’s nutrients mostly unusable and quite toxic. Whole wheat flour, even if freshly ground, lacks in nutritional value because of the great loss of nutrients due to oxidation of the burst food cells.
Despite these convincing reasons why we shouldn’t eat bread at all let’s talk about bread a bit further. The wheat bread sold in stores is likely to be only 25 percent wheat, the other 75 percent of the flour being bleached white flour. But you can’t tell this by just looking at the bread, for it may be colored with caramel to make it look darker like 100 percent whole wheat bread. The label has to say “whole-wheat flour” or else it’s only partly whole wheat.
This is bad enough but there’s worse news: The high-fiber breads that are becoming so popular these days contain powdered cellulose, a cheap byproduct of the paper industry. Even nonhygienic minded “health” writers warn against consuming artificial fiber.
The paper mills are selling this powdered cellulose to food processors as a “bulking agent” for cookies, cakes, pastas and breakfast cereals, as well as for bread. The human body wasn’t designed to digest this waste product of the paper industry. Your best bet is still to stay away from products which contain “bulking agents,” sugar or honey, salt, preservatives, colorings and wheat.
- 1. Introduction
- 2. Classifications Of Carbohydrates
- 3. The Role Of Carbohydrates In The Body
- 4. How Carbohydrates Are Digested And Used By The Body
- 5. Sources Of Carbohydrates
- 6. Why Starches Are Less Than Ideal Sources Of Carbohydrates
- 7. Why Fruits Are The Ideal Source Of Carbohydrates
- 8. Amounts And Variety Of Carbohydrates Needed By Humans
- 9. Disease Conditions Related To Carbohydrate Consumption
- 10. Questions & Answers
- Article #1: Carbohydrates By Dr. Herbert M. Shelton
- Article #2: Digestion Of Foods By Dr. Herbert M. Shelton
- Article #3: Starches Are Second-Rate Foods By Marti Fry
- Article #4: The “Staff Of Life” By Marti Fry
- Article #5: What’s Wrong With Wheat By Marti Fry
- Article #6: Fruit – The Ideal Food By Dr. Herbert M. Shelton
- Article #7: Are Humans Starch Eaters? By Dr. Herbert M. Shelton